Friday, July 15, 2011

TWO GREAT IDEAS FOR BUTTON COVERS

I wanted to share with you some things you can do with Button Covers.
I was talking with some ladies in a sewing group and I was surprised that they had never seen the two following ideas.

 I thought that I would share them with ya'll as well.


ID  REELS/HOLDER


These are so easy to make and are a great gift for a nurse, teacher or anyone that has to wear an ID. 


The reels at Office Depot cost a little more, but hold up the best. 



This is the type of button covers I use.



It has great instructions on the package on how to assemble your button.



I did not monogram all the ones that I made. 
 I found fabric with tiny designs and cut them to fit in the
 middle of the button cover.




You will need to get a pair of needle nose pliers and take the little hook off of the back so that you can glue the button cover to the badge reel.
I use E6000 glue, I find it to be the best at holding the button covers on.  I use a paper plate to place it on, it can get stringy, also a wooden toothpick works great at removing any excess.  This glue does take longer to dry...
I let mine dry overnight.
Hot glue did not work for me, they would pop off and I hate burning my fingers.





If you purchase the colored badge reels remember to 
 consider your fabric choices.  
The bottom piece can be seen.
Take it from me you hate to have a cute little hot pink and
 lime green button cover to find you only have a red reel and its midnight.
 I have seen some made with all colors but I guess that I am just to picky.



QUICK GIFT IDEA
PONYTAIL HOLDERS WITH BUTTON COVERS



My daughter needed a quick thought gift...(like 15 mins). 
 She said it was for a little girl that was about 10 years old with long hair.
I grabbed  a piece of the wire shown above and pulled a skinny rubber band through some monogrammed button covers.
BAM instant ponytail holders!

If you do not have a monogram machine look at the little camo one (below)...just as cute.



I always keep on hand little cello bags, thin ribbons and hang tags.
 They make your gifts, candies, cupcakes, etc., look so much more professional.

Have you used a button cover in an unique way ?   Do share!

Connect to see more great craft ideas...
Skip To My Lou





6 comments:

Teresa said...

Adorable~I had no idea you were a BERNINA girl!
Yeah!
LOVE these!
xo

Wendy said...

Well, I am going to have to add button covers to my "to do" list. These are adorable and a great idea!
Wendy
(P.S. I am a nurse and these are going to make great Birthday gifts for my co-workers...thank you!)

Heathahlee said...

Those hang tags are adorable! Wonder if my husband would wear one if I made him one for his work i.d.? HA!

Lisa @celebrate CREATIVITY said...

What a great idea. These are really cute.

Debilou ~ Mississippi Mama said...

so cute,, Im one of those "lucky" ones that have to wear an id badge. And these would make great little gifts for my coworkers at Christmas time. Thanks for sharing.

Robin Beck said...

Great idea! You did an amazing job~